In this post, I’m going to show you how to start a free blog in WordPress.com. Most of the hobby blogger and newbie start from WordPress.com. It’s a free blogging platform for a blogger to write and post online.
Read this before you start for free,
Honestly and technically speaking with my experience, WordPress.com for free. A lot of limitation and restrictions. Note down the limitation;
- You cannot monetize your blog with platforms like AdSense and another program
- You don’t own your personal domain, but a sub-domain of WordPress.com. This makes sense, you’re basically blogging on another website. The name of your website or URL is part of WordPress domain. (example-www.myblog.wordpress.com)
- If found violating the terms and conditions of the WordPress, the admin can terminate your site.
Yes, it is obvious, due to its limitation people move on to the personal domain and self-hosted option for blogging.
Did it clear your confusion? If you’re still confused read here the difference between WordPress.Org(self-hosted) and WordPress.com(sub-domain).
Before we start- If you want to learn how to start a blog in WordPress.Com, Check out my step-by-step tutorial here.
How to start a free blog on WordPress.com
Alright! Shall we start the race? Here we go, follow along…
The following are the outlines we’ll be covering in the process:
- Registration of email and username
- Entering your blog name and a short information.
- Domain name registration(name of your blog)
- Picking the plan as per your requirement
- Theme Selection
- Customizing your blog(Designing the look of your blog)
- Publishing your first blog
Registration of email and username
Click on the link WordPress.com and click Get Started
On clicking Get Started button you’ll be asked to enter your email address, WordPress will mail you a link for your blog. Choose your username and enter your confidential password. Check the pics below.
2. Enter your blog name and short information about your blog.
Once you’re done with step 1, click on Continue and answer the questions as it helps you to make the site/blog as per your requirement. The answers to the questions determine the layout of your blog look. Example, if your blog is for photography, they will select the layout for your blog.
A gentle reminder, you do not require any technical skills to set your blog.
3. Domain registration and name of your blog
Continue for the next to register your domain, name of your blog. Enter the name of your blog. As we’re setting your blog for free, select the free option with WordPress.Com sub-domain. Get a clear picture of what to do from the pic below.
Read, apply and follow along to gain the momentum.
If you’re planning to buy a domain, Check out this tutorial for a free domain. You need to buy your hosting only at a discount rate and avail the free domain.
No hassle, if you’re running short of time get the exclusive offer from Bluehost directly.
4. Choosing the plan for your blog.
There’s three plan, start with personal, premium and business plan with varying price and features. As of now, we will be going for a free plan. Click on Start with free to proceed further.
Yay! We’re almost done setting your free blog.
5. Theme selection
A theme basically is the look of your blog. WordPress offers numbers of free themes. You can pick the theme of your choice. No pressure, you can pick and change your theme later.
To pick the theme;
- Go to the dashboard, left sidebar.
- Look for customizing option just below the personalize Option
- Then click on themes on the right of the customize option
- You’ll find premium and a free theme. Pick the free theme similar to your blog topic.
- Once you’re done picking up the theme, click on the theme and then to activate this design button.
6. Customizing your blog(designing the look of your blog)
This process is the most interesting part of the process as you get to play with the design and your creative skills. WordPress offers a user-friendly interface and easy customization features, no technical stuff.
Moving ahead, after clicking the activate this design you’ll be directed to customize site button.
Under customize option, you can change your site title, change the background color, image, add header and fonts. Every interface is handy and easy to use.
To add a page to your blog:
- Go to My Sites on the left sidebar
- Then to Side Pages, Click on add
- You’ll see the editor screen. Add the title of the page and its content.
- Once your done adding the title and content click on the Publish button to publish your page.
- I suggest adding About and Contact page for your blog.
To add your blog post
- Go to Blog Posts on the left sidebar under My Site
- Click on add. Then add a title of the post and content in the editor screen
- You can add images and links to your blog post.
- Add feature image for your blog, tags, and categories.
- Once you are done, the final step is to click on the Publish button to publish your blog post.
Wooo!!! We are done setting your blog. It is easy, moreover, it didn’t take long to set your blog.
I hope now you can set your own WordPress blog. Check this content to a start a blog in WordPress.
Bonus for you, claim the exclusive offer from Bluehost and a free domain.
Plea- If you have any query and if you need help in setting your blog please leave a comment below.
Handpicked related content for you;
- Why should you start a blog?
- Tips to choose your blog name.
- Which Blogging platform will you choose?
- How to start a blog on WordPress
- Difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com