Blogging, you came here to know about which blogging platform you want to choose to start blogging, rite! Cool, let me tell you a crazy fact, joining a blogging community is the best league ever you will be playing.
Yay! I will put in this way, everyone needs to have a blog, as blogging has the potential to make you powerful.
In a lame phrase, It will surprise you. Start blogging here
There are people reading blogs and publishing content every day, (oh! yes you and me too).
Here we go before you start blogging you should choose the blogging platform to create content and host your blog on the internet. It is a simple thing, to be a writer you need a pen and a paper, an idea to create content. So is the drama with blogging, a platform to host your content.
Alright! paying attention to our main task choosing the blogging platform. I’ll be guiding you through the blogging platform. We will take a look at its pros and cons, followed by a suggestion on the basis of your needs.
Shall we go…
The following are our lists of the platform we will be guiding you based on our experience and extensive testing.
Let’s dig in deeper about each platform…
WordPress.org is a self-hosted version of WordPress and one of the most popular platforms used in the world. It’s a downloadable blogging software.
WordPress.Org, it offers the user with easy customization tools and more of a powerful option. To remind you, it is a beginner friendly. The highlight can be, the user can control the design and look of your website in whatever style you want it to present.
Why should you use WordPress.Org?
- WordPress.Org is search engine friendly.
- It is easy to customize
- There’re end numbers of premium and free themes available for which the users can choose and design their website.
- WordPress.Org offers 45000 free plugins. Plugins are an application or a software that allows the users to add features in the site, for example, adding a contact form, social media sharing application and more.
- The users can also add online store which many bloggers do it earn money from their work.
Drawback of WordPress.Org
- A user needs some technical skills to manage the website at its initial stage.
- Hosting is not included, you’ve to get a hosting.
- It takes time to set it up.
I recommend WordPress.Org;
- Who wants to make money from their blog.
- A blog for business
- Blogging as a hobby
- Professional Blogger
The software price is $0 but we need to buy a custom domain and hosting.
As a fact, 32% of the web uses WordPress.Org. JUST WOW.
WordPress.com is a hosting service by WordPress company. It offers the user the basic free hosting service to launch their blog. The user can avail the extra features like for your personal domain and storage.
Why should you use WordPress.com?
- It is easy to use and manage
- There are free themes available but you can opt for a premium one to customize the design of your choice.
- There is no set up required in WordPress
- A user can access to plugins like sharing, comments but cannot access third-party plugins.
Drawback of WordPress.com
- Limited options and features to customize your site.
- You cannot install and activate a plugin
- You cannot run an advertisement on your blog WordPress
- If found violating the terms and conditions of the WordPress, the admin can terminate your site.
WordPress.com is recommended to
- Who wants to start a blog without investment
- Blog for hobby
Check out the following plans:
- $0 perfect for basic blogging
- $99 for professional
- $299 for advanced business website
One of the oldest blogging platform for free, easy to use and set it. It is run by Google since 2003. It’s simple to set it, all you need to do is sign up through your google account. It does all technical work similar to that of WordPress.com. The only effort you need is to create a content, no doubt you are ready for it.
Why Should you use Blogger?
- It is free
- Easy to customize and can start in a minute
- You do not require any technical skills
- It’s easy to monetize your blog with google ads as it is run by Google.
- Free templates for designing your blog
Drawback of Blogger
- Limited tools for designing the look of your site
- Online free /third party templates for blogger comes in low quality
- Limited functions to run E-commerce in blogger
- No access to external extensions and plugins
Blogger is recommended to
- As of my know-how and experience, I recommend Blogger for hobby blogger.
- For personal blog
$0, completely free, inclusive of hosting. By default, you get a subdomain(example-updatepreneur.blogspot.com). In addition, you can also get a custom domain (example-updatepreneur.com) but you’ve to get it separately.
Tumblr is a micro-blogging platform associated with more of social network features. One of the easiest way to start microblogs right away. Tumblr is one of the optimized blogging platforms to write short content, microblog, quotes, and images.
Blogger can follow another blog, re-blog, and comments in the blog and east to build the social network.
Why should you use Tumblr?
- Completely free
- Its user interface is easy to use
- Tumblr is more of a social network site, the user can easily develop an online community
- Tumblr allows the user to blog videos, images, GIFs, and videos easily.
Drawback of Tumblr
- Limited features
- No plugins or extension
- They do not offer additional features with themes available
Tumblr is recommended to
- Micro blogs
- Hobby blogger
- A blog for publishing short videos, images, GIFs, and Quotes.
Tumblr is free. It comes with hosting and for custom domains you need to get separately.
Medium is the right platform to publish your story and writing. Over the time it is has grown into a community of writers, journalists, experts, and bloggers.
The medium allows the users to write and publish any content and rewards the users as well with the quality of content they publish. Users can avail full editing online interface, inclusive of many options for formatting and editing.
Why should you use medium
- You do not require technical skills or coding to set it
- It is easy to use
- You can meet the community who shares a common interest
- Allows users to publish your content in other publication owned by a user in Medium.
Drawback of Medium
- The design of the sites look similar for all, there is no custom design
- Limited features for website design besides writing
- Medium control your publication
Medium is recommended to
- Hobby writers
- Writers for those looking for good readers and audience. Can develop your brand
- Freelance publishers in a medium publication where you can money too.
It is completely free to use.
Wix one of the free website commonly known for drag and drop website building software. It is user-friendly. Moreover, a user does not require any tech skills to set it up. It is basically for setting free online website but a user can add a blog to the website.
Why should you use Wix?
- Free Plan
- Easy to set website using free templates and third-party templates online.
- It’s a beginner friendly with its use of drag and drop tools.
- You do not require any tech skills to set your website
Drawback of Wix
- Limited tools for blog customization
- The free version of Wix has limited access and they run their ads on your content.
- Limited features to run E-commerce in your blog/website
Wix is recommended to
- A business owner who wants to set a great looking website
- To all creatives freelancer, photographers, bloggers, artists, and musician.
- Basic website building is free
- They charge for a custom domain($4 a month)
- Its subscription/premium starts from $0 to $18
If you need full control over your website or blog, we recommend going for self-hosted. Get a domain and paid to host.
With regards to choosing the platform, I’ve been using WordPress.Org for quite long now and with its top performance from other platforms. We recommend WordPress.Org. It has an outstanding flexibility, an ease tool to set your blog and importantly SEO friendly.
We hope that our blog post helped you in deciding which platform to choose. If you are all set to go, please follow the WordPress guide to set your blog.
Check out the following related content
- How to start a blog on WordPress?
- Why Should you start Blogging?
- Tips for choosing your blog name
- How to start a free blog on WordPress.com?
- Difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com